How was your weekend folks! I had a family focused weekend full of sweet Sunday baking and I'm still reminiscing about Design Junction which took place a few weeks ago. Speaking of which, you may have read in my write-up that I met the lovely brand Falcon Enamelware. Being totally mesmerised by their British, iconic products I really wanted the opportunity to review them. So, I decided I'd not only share my review but also my Fab Family Spiced Apple & Peach Crumble recipe! One thing I noticed about the Falcon Enamel 5-piece baking set is that it's incredibly light which is perfect for baking. The dishes also come in pillarbox red, white & blue and pigeon Gary (new for A/W 2012) - cool kitchen chic colours!
For the Crumble
300g/10.5oz Plain flour, sieved pinch of salt
175g/6oz Unrefined brown sugar
200g/7oz Unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
* Knob of butter for greasing
For the Filling
450g/1lb Apples - peeled, cored and cut into 1cm/0.5in pieces
2 tins of sliced peaches - dice them prior to adding
50g/2oz Unrefined brown sugar
1 tbsp Plain flour
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon (Optional: You can add spices such as Nutmeg, Clove, Tanker-bean, Mace and Saport).
Lets Get To Baking:
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/350F/Glass Mark 4.
2. Place the flour and sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time, rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing away until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add your cinnamon spice to your crumble mixture. To give it that fresh, spiced, tantalising taste I've added some essential spices - Nutmeg (my native Grenada national spice), Clove, Tanker-bean, Mace and a spice called Saport (great to baking).
4. Butter your [Falcon] ovenproof baking dish.
5. Place the apples and peaches into your baking dish and sprinkle over your crumble mixture.
Tip: I sprinkled some additional spice onto the fruits to give it a little kick! (about a tsp should do).
6. Bake in the oven for 40-45 mins until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture begins to bubble up slightly.
7. Serve with thick cream, custard or creamy ice-cream.
My verdict - I really enjoyed baking with this product. It was so easy to handle (not too heavy or bulky) and I loved the fact that the set comes with different size pans which is essential when baking. I loved the colourways too and being enamel the crumble seemed to cook quite evenly yet quickly too!